July 11, 2021
Complete playlist below; tracks in yellow were cut for time.
- Outro, Vulfpeck, 2012
- No Slack, Jaco Pastorius & Brian Melvin, 1989
- Café Com Pão (Jodel), Paula Morelenbaum & João Donato, 2011
- Like a Ship, Pastor T. L. Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir, 1971
- Sunflower River Blues, John Fahey, 1998
- Fire, Lizzy Mercier Descloux, 1979
- The Force, Lettuce, 2015
- I Get Lonely, Janet Jackson, 1998
- Little Fluffy Clouds, The Orb, 1990
- Room Mate, Lizzy Mercier Descloux, 1981
- Cool in the Pool, Holger Czukay, 1979
- She Was Surprised, Psychic TV, 1988
- Southern Nights, Allen Toussaint, 1975
- 相合傘 - Broken Radio Version, Haruomi Hosono, 2019
- Sweet Salvation, The Stepkids, 2012
- Addicted to Love, Ciccone Youth, 1988
- Gloria, Laura Branigan, 1982
- Les Fleurs, Minnie Riperton, 1970
- Slowly, Amon Tobin, 2000
- Cuff Link, Wings, 1978
- I Heard It through the Grapevine, The Slits, 1979
- We Run This, Missy Elliott, 2005
- A Walk to Remember, Vulfpeck
Al Freeman brings a summer afternoon playlist; something for dads to drive to. Host Nate Heiges talks with Al about her show at Grice Bench in LA, covers & homages, and cool women in rock who died too soon.
Al Freeman is a sculptor who reproduces everyday objects at an exaggerated scale, rendering them puffy and tactile. By presenting her works as partially deflated, she playfully imbues a beer can, a hammer, or a lava lamp with a message of subverted masculinity. In her Comparisons series, Freeman juxtaposes iconic artworks with images lifted from the backwaters of the internet.
Al Freeman received a BFA in 2005 from Concordia University in Montréal, and an MFA in 2010 from Yale University.